Monday, December 21, 2009

Washing under auto hood gone wild! I broke my Jeep?

I went to the car wash on a few days ago, and washed under the hood while it was running. I didn't cover the distributor, alternator, etc. I removed the sludge from the valve cover so that I could replace the valve cover gasket without such a mess and went buck wild. Under the hood is clean, but when I drove off the engine RPM went up from the usual 1500-200 RPM while driving to up to 5000 RPM with the odometer reading 25-35mph. Also the engine started to lurch and sputter. I was able to drive it 20 miles until it started to die. I left it for 3 days returned and tried the engine once more. It started and the check engine light was on. I was able to limp home with it wanting to hesitate almost all the way home and at times sounding like it was on the verge of backfiring. When I inspected the distributor cap, no crack, or carbon tracks. Should I just do a complete tune up? What did I really do to my 4x4 95 Jeep Cherokee. Straight 6 engine. Didn't notice anything wrong with it before this incident and the check engine light was never on prior to this in my 5 years owning it. Tuned it up last year and it had oil on one cylinder...Help! Any sites to help me diagnose? Washing under auto hood gone wild! I broke my Jeep?
You've likely gotten water into the electrical connectors for the sensors. Try disconnecting them, letting it sit overnight to dry. Then apply dielectic (nonconducting) grease to each connector to keep this from happening again, and try restarting.Washing under auto hood gone wild! I broke my Jeep?
Go to Radio Shack (or another electronics store) and buy several cans of contact cleaner. Spray Every site where their are electrical connections (disconnect connectors first) try to avoid spraying where there are any lubricants because you will have to re-lubricate. Let it all dry, reconnect and try it then.



well i really have no idea iv never heard of such a thing but i would guess if it has E.F.I. maybe that got shorted out somewhere
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment