Monday, December 21, 2009

Can I wash my auto headlight covers or should I just buy new ones?

The covers are getting cloudy looking. Can I remove them to clean them? Or should I not bother and just buy new ones?Can I wash my auto headlight covers or should I just buy new ones?
I work at an Auto Shop. We sell and for customers we clean headlights. So you know, most places won't.





So I'm guessing your headlight lenses are yellow and barely shine. That's common with older cars.


Reasons for happening:


Water in headlight assembly


Bad seal and dirt cakes





There's a pack you can buy, and it's much cheaper then buying new headlights. The pack comes with a complete cleaning kit and everything to bring the shine out of the light.





You can pick one of the kits up at NAPA auto parts. I know they have them. If there isn't one around you, try Autozone, or Advance Auto Parts.





Hope I helped. Any other questions, let me know.Can I wash my auto headlight covers or should I just buy new ones?
Usually the cloudiness is on the outside. There are kits for refinishing them sold in car parts stores, but I use Brasso metal polish because it's cheaper. Basically the surface has become oxidized and pitted. You can buff that off and polish it to crystal clarity with a bit of work. A new one will cost you an arm and a leg. You want to know why the lens gets fuzzy? All the dirt in the air for miles and miles wears away at it as you drive and sunlight burns it.
This is a very common problem with today's plastic headlights. Just get a damp rag and some light polishing compound (you can get it at wallmart) and buff them out yourself for less than 5 bucks. We do it everyday here in my shop to get cars to pass state inspection and it works very well.
Go to NAPA auto parts and they sell a polishing kit made by 3-M to polish the headlight covers, it's usually always on the outside that they get messed up.
is the cloudiness on the inside or outside?


do you really care that much?


new ones are expensive and i doubt yours even come apart
Get New ones.
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment